Just because the weather is cooler and the lawn is going into its dormant season doesn’t mean we should completely neglect our lawns in fall. What you do for November lawn care can make spring chores easier. In this article, we’ll look at some things you can do for fall lawn care and hope you take our advice so that your lawn can get through the winter intact and with minimal damage.
- Apply a winter fertilizer. It should be high in potassium because it prevents the lawn from getting diseases and supports the process of photosynthesis. Potassium also helps the grass build thicker cell walls so it will be stronger. Emerald Lawns can help with your fertilization needs. We use a special fertilizer that has all the nutrients your lawn will need during the winter months. Feed your lawn before it ‘hibernates’ and you’ll have a healthy lawn come spring.
- Continue to mow your own lawn until the grass stops growing. Yes, we know no one likes mowing their lawn, but it must be done. As long as your grass is growing to the point where it needs to be cut, it needs to be cut. Remember to never take more than 1/3 of the blade at any given mowing and always make sure your blades are sharp. Sharpen them if you have to.
- Rake your leaves off your lawn. It’s a good time to rake the leaves. They’re everywhere. Keep them off paved walkways and get them off your lawn. You don’t want wet leaves wreaking havoc on your lawn’s moisture levels. Of course, since leaves are organic matter, you may want to mulch them and put them as a layer on your lawn. This won’t hurt the lawn and may even help it.
- Install your Christmas décor the weekend after Thanksgiving. Be careful when doing this to tread lightly on your lawn. The lawn should be tidied of all the leaves and mowed prior to doing this. The decorated areas will remain untouched until after you take down your decorations. You don’t want to mow with wires and extension cords from lights. It could wreck them and wreak havoc on your lawn.
- Bring in your lawn and patio furniture. You don’t want dead spots springing up where the items are. It’s better to have a clear lawn during the winter so it’s not a damaged lawn come spring.
- Remove debris from you lawn like sticks and branches and stones. You want your lawn as clear as possible so that there’s no stress on it during the winter months. Why? The winter months provide enough stress on your lawn as it is.
Hopefully, these tips have helped you determine how to proceed with fall lawn care. It’s definitely different than lawn care during the spring and summer months. If you follow these tips for good fall lawn care, then you have a good chance of avoiding disease during the winter months and having a beautiful lawn again come spring. Have any questions? Contact us at Emerald Lawns Austin. We can be reached at 512-990-2199 or click here to fill out our online request.