It’s April, everyone. Did you know that April is also National Lawn Care Month? We, at Emerald Lawns, are happy to celebrate this by caring for your lawn and making it as lush and green as possible. A poll conducted by Harris Interactive discovered that 81% of people with a lawn/landscape say that its upkeep is important to them. It shows a person’s pride in their home.
The Professional Landcare Network (PLANET) keeps an eye on the importance of lawns as well as their aesthetic and environmental benefits during April and all throughout the year. The best way they can achieve this end is by reminding lawn care owners about the benefits of a healthy lawn.
A healthy lawn is a happy lawn and a happy lawn creates a happy owner. Some facts about healthy lawns will make you very happy. They are:
- A well-cared for lawn can significantly increase the value of your home
- A healthy lawn creates a healthy environment. Did you know that a 50-foot by 50-foot lawn can produce enough oxygen for a family of four?
- Your lawn can cool down the atmosphere. 8 healthy lawns have the same cooling effect as 70 tons of air conditioning. This is equal to the amount used in 16 homes.
- Grass converts carbon dioxide into oxygen. This helps clean up the air.
- Dense and healthy grass will slow down water runoff. This removes contaminants and traps the soil. As a result, fresh, filtered water returns to the underground water supply.
Some ways you can celebrate National Lawn Care Month this April include, but are not limited to:
- Testing your soil. When you test your soil, you’re checking for its pH balance and a proper mix of nutrients. A lawn or landscape professional like Emerald Lawns can test your soil for you easily.
- After you get your test results, you should consider fertilizing based on the findings. If you’re low in certain nutrients, get a fertilizer that contains those nutrients. While it’s not true that every lawn needs to be fertilized in the spring, it is true that if you’re missing vital nutrients in your lawn that will be detrimental to the health of your lawn.
- Tune and check up your lawn mower. It’s about to get a lot more use so make sure it’s in good working order. Ensure that the blades are sharp and the oil has been changed. Take out last season’s fuel and utilize fresh gas. Now would be a good time to reread the owner’s manual and make sure all safety measures are in good working order.
- Don’t cut your grass too short. Taller grass results in deeper roots and is less likely to encourage weeds. It can also protect your lawn from scorching (that’s sort of like lawn sunburn).
- Consult with a lawn care professional like Emerald Lawns to create a maintenance program that will keep your lawn in the best possible shape during the coming months.
If you celebrate your lawn in April for National Lawn Care month, you can be sure it will be worth celebrating in the months to come. Feel free to contact Emerald Lawns today at 512-990-2199 and we’ll be happy to help you put a lawn care plan in place. Happy National Lawn Care Month!