If you’re interested in eco-friendly lawn care, then, we have some suggestions for you. A lawn doesn’t have to ruin the environment. It can help sustain it. In this article, we have 5 tips for eco-friendly lawn care. We’re not saying you have to try them, but telling you there are options if you want to take them.
- Grow the right grass for your location. There are warm weather grasses and cool weather grasses. When planting grass seeds, make sure you’re using the right seeds for your area. In Central Texas, Bermuda Grass and Zoysia grass are among the types you should be using.
- Get a push mower for your lawn. Traditional gas mowers are horrible for air quality standards and contribute to global warming. They are terrible for the environment. If you can’t go all the way to a push mower for whatever reason, try using a plug-in electric model. It’s better than gas.
- When you’re done mowing, leave the clippings on your yard. Grass clippings contain vital nutrients for your lawn. They help improve its health and they’ll quickly disintegrate back into the turf. It also cuts down your time on mowing because you don’t have to bag the clippings. This also helps with creating less waste for the landfill so it’s a double win.
- Compost. This is the recycling of organic materials to be spread back into the lawn for nutritional purposes. Any organic material with some nutritional value will benefit your lawn.
- Rainwater irrigation. According to NASA, lawns account for more irrigation than any single crop in the United States. This puts a strain on water supplies. Rainwater can offset your irrigation problems. Catch it in bins as it flows down from your gutter spouts during a rainstorm. To water the lawn, you’ll need an electric pump to create enough water pressure to power an irrigation system.
There are many other things you can do to have an eco-friendly lawn. You just have to do a little research to figure them out. We, at Emerald Lawns, are happy to report that we are a green lawn care company. We care about the environment too. Give us a call at 512-990-2199